Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Hiking Washington's History, 2nd Edition--Now With Maps in Color!

Last year I worked with the University of Washington Press to produce an entirely new set of maps for the second edition of the book Hiking Washington's History, available here, here, and here, and I received my cartographer's copy last month.

I produced the maps for the first edition in black and white (ten years ago!!), which presented its own set of unique cartographic challenges. For the second edition, I was able to work in color, but the second edition format is slightly smaller, so even the maps that were carried over with minimal changes (other than switching to color) had to be modified to fit the new dimensions and aspect ratio.

The final result turned out beautifully in my opinion. The book is well written and full of great photos and stories. My family has used it to select several hikes and it adds a nice layer of meaning and context to an already enjoyable activity.


HWH 2nd Ed Cover
 
The map for Deception Pass State Park, one of my favorites

One of the many mind-blowing historical photos


It always makes me smile to see a cartography attribution in a book


No comments: