Monday, October 11, 2010

Biggest Map, Smallest Map

The week before last I worked on two maps for two different non-profit organizations focused on wilderness protection: The Wilderness Society and the Washington Wilderness Coalition. TWS needed a thumbnail of a map for a newsletter; WWC needed a giant backdrop map for a display they are putting together with a graphic designer. As it turns out, the TWS map is the smallest map I have ever made (2.5" x 3") and the WWC map is the largest I have ever made (60" x 45").

Here is an image to give you a sense of the difference.


Biggest on left, smallest on right. Click on thumbnail to embiggen.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I'm going to have to try and sneak the word "embiggen" into a conversation now.

Which map was harder to make? :)

Matt said...

Hey Gretchen--the *smaller* map was much harder. It's analogous to Mark Twain's observation on writing: "I didn’t have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead."